Reminder: Don’t charge your phone in the tub

1In light of a London man passing away due to accidental electrocution last weekend, we here at Schooley Mitchell are passing on a safety tip: don’t charge your phone in the bath.

CNET reported that Richard Bull, 32, was found dead in his bathtub with severe burns. When the police arrived, they found an extension cord leading into the bathroom from the hallway – and the charger element in the tub itself.

Police Commissioner Craig Pattinson said at an inquiry into the fatality that, “The extension cable was on the floor and it appeared as though he had his phone charger on his chest and the part between the phone charger and the cable had made contact with the water.”

Dr. Sean Cummings, the coroner on Richard Bull’s case said that although the death was ruled accidental, he is concerned that not enough people realize how dangerous smartphones are near water. “They should attach warnings,” Dr. Cummings insisted. “I intend to write a report later to the makers of the phone.”

Should smartphone makers give more clear warnings about electrocution hazards?  Whether you believe the company should be liable, or that this is just common sense, play it safe and keep all electronics away from water!