Overheating batteries have been the source of more than one inferno. The most recent battery disaster involved a pair of wireless headphones and an airplane. According to Entrepreneur, an Australian woman on a flight from Beijing to Melbourne had her face burned when her undisclosed-brand headphones exploded and caught fire.
“I continued to feel burning so I grabbed them off and threw them on the floor. They were sparking and had small amounts of fire. As I went to stamp my foot on them the flight attendants were already there with a bucket of water to pour on them. They put them into the bucket at the rear of the plane,” explained the owner of the headphones.
The woman said her headphones battery and cover melted into the floor of the plane, filling the cabinet with a burning plastic smell. The explosion happened only 2 hours into the long flight, forcing the passengers to spend more than nine hours coughing and choking on the smoke.
The Australian Transport Safety Bureau, in recognizing the increasing number of wireless devices on planes, took this opportunity to remind passengers about battery safety on planes. However, unless regulations change, there’s nothing preventing another headphone fire, even if passengers are careful.